Thursday, February 3, 2011

Forgiveness


Is forgiveness a common occurance or is it rare?

Before this question can be answered, I think that we first of all need to understand what it really means. So I pull out my trust dictionary, online of course for I am not sure that I even own a hardback version like the one I recall from years ago. hmmm... wonder what ever happened to it? I am sure that if I do still have it is covered in dust for it was long ago abandoned. 

Well according to Webster it means:
Forgive: 1. to give up resentment of or claim to requital for 2. to cease to feel resentment against (an offender)

The first thing that I noticed was that resentment is repeated and used in both definitions. So in my mind I visualize the two words on a weighted scale.  Resentment on one side and Forgiveness on the other.  The visual image nearly blows me away.

The feeling of anger or ill-will (aka resentment) is such a common emotion. It comes so natural.  It can be manifested in many different forms.  There is the silent anger, the raging anger, pouting or fuming. How often do we get angry? Anger comes in times of humiliation or embarrassement, it comes when we feel that we have been betrayed, deceived, rejected, ignored, wronged, or insulted. Then the resentment is manifested further by holding onto those negative emotions.

The act of forgiving and letting go of the resentment, can be such a liberating feeling. Yet, while anger and resentment seem to be a part of human nature, forgiveness does not come easily. In fact, in some cases it can be a life long struggle. Yet, I believe that by choosing not to forgive is choosing to remain the victim.

The bible says this about forgiveness:
    Colossians 3:13
    Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. (NIV) 






No comments:

Post a Comment