Sunday, January 30, 2011

A little more...LOVE

Well, I have introduced myself as the wife of an addict, but let me tell you a little more. 

I am a daughter,
I am a mother,
I am a professional,
but most importantly I am a child of God. When I am weak, He is strong. 

I have considered myself a Christian since I was 14 years old.  I fell from the church for many years, but when I became thirsty and found that the only thing that could quench that thirst was the word, I was led back to church.  I was accepted by God with open arms, for that is how He works.  His wonderous works amaze me all the time. 

The shame and stigma that go with addiction are very real.....very hurtful.  You can tell someone that a loved one has cancer and you get empathy, sympathy, encouragement. Yet, if tell someone that a loved one is an addict or in rehab, you get judged or just maybe you might get sympathy, but they judge your loved one.  But let me tell you.... addiction does not discriminate. I knows of no color, no religion, no gender, no profession, it can and it will attack anyone.

My husband's addiction has cost us lots of money, lots of friends, and even family members.  How do you forgive that? How do you forgive being judged, ridiculed, and misunderstood? It is not easy.  I am still struggling with it. I am speaking here of not only forgiving my husband but also all of the friends and family that have abandoned us both.

God's word teaches me to forgive. How can I not when not only has he forgiven me for every sin I've ever committed, but he has also washed the white as snow; leaving no mark that they ever existed. It isn't easy but I will keep striving for it.

Isiaiah 1:18
 “Come now, let us settle the matter,” says the LORD. Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow;though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.

If you or a loved one may be suffering from addiction, please check out the following web link for symptoms and behaviors associated with addiction.

http://addictionblog.org/body/how-to-identify-prescription-drug-addiction/#comment-10660

Til next time,

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment